BSVSA is the student-run arm of the Pride Veterinary Medical Community. The Pride VMC fosters acceptance and inclusivity for people of all sexual orientations and gender identities within the veterinary profession. Pride VMC offers support, mentorship and is a fiscal sponsor of the national Broad Spectrum Veterinary Student Association.
All campus chapters of Broad Spectrum or VOICE are independent entities that fall under university rules and regulations. The national BSVSA board helps guide individual chapters through offering chapter grants and hosting the Broad Spectrum Annual Meeting at the SAVMA Symposium.
We thank you for your interest and hope you will help us to create an inclusive academic veterinary community where sharing experiences and educational opportunities inspire community engagement and equity so that LGBTQ+ people and allies are able to contribute to and thrive within a diverse veterinary profession.
Be sure to check out our Grants page under Resources for current student grant opportunities.
We maintain a private Broad Spectrum Facebook page (Broad Spectrum Veterinary Student Association) for LGBTQ+ veterinary students. Please ask us to be included.
This page is under construction, and we invite your creativity and suggestions.
Any questions or comments, please email us at email@example.com
BSVSA is accepting applications for 2019-2020 Leadership Team!
Broad Spectrum Veterinary Student Association is now accepting applications and nominations for the 2019-2020 leadership team.
Available positions include vice president (president-elect), secretary, treasurer, public relations chair, chapter coordinator, and Pride VMC student representative.
These volunteer positions entail monthly video meetings, mentorship through Pride VMC, and an opportunity for development of leadership skills.
If interested, please e- mail the current president firstname.lastname@example.org.
VICE PRESIDENT (PRESIDENT-ELECT):
- Assists president with managing and planning meetings and events. Assists president with educational initiatives. Fills in if the president is absent
- *Please note that vice president is president-elect for the following year. If interested in this position, you are committing to two years on the officer board with your 2nd year as president.
- Takes notes at monthly meetings and distributes to executive board
- Manages organization bank account along with the PRIDEVMC treasurer. Distributes grant money to chapters. Assists in finding and applying for funding opportunities.
PUBLIC RELATIONS CHAIR:
- Drafts press releases and assists with letter-writing campaigns; manages social media accounts.
- Maintains contact information for individual Broad Spectrum chapters (officers/advisors) and distributes information (announcements, education materials, etc.) to those chapters. Attends monthly BSVSA meetings and maintains contact between the individual school chapters and the national board.
Pride VMC STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE(S):
- Attends Pride VMC board meetings and relays information to BSVSA executive board
- Represents student interests on the Pride VMC board
Represent your school as a member of our board! Attendees of any North American school of veterinary medicine are encouraged to apply. We welcome individuals of any sexual orientation or gender identity, including allies!
Broad Spectrum Veterinary Student Association 2018/2019 Leadership Team
Jenna Ward (Texas A&M University 2020) President
Alejandra Price (Louisiana State University 2021) Co-President-elect
Carolina Panisello-Manterola (University of Pennsylvania 2021) Co-President-elect
Rhiannon Koehler (University of Missouri 2019) Past President
Jesse Whitfield (Purdue University 2020) Treasurer
Courtney Gallant (Atlantic Veterinary College 2020) Secretary
Jenn Hergert (Washington State University 2019) Broad Spectrum Chapter Coordinator
Nathan Blumenfeld (University of Minnesota 2020) Public Relations Chair
Morgan Miller (Colorado State University 2020) PrideVMC Liaison
Stephie-Anne Duliepre (Cornell University 2020) SAVMA COO
Dr. Jay Gladden, Pride VMC’s Broad Spectrum Board Adviser
Dr. Abby McElroy, Secretary of PrideVMC, Student Liaison Committee
Dr. Ken Gorczyca, PrideVMC Mentor
Broad Spectrum Veterinary Student Association 2019/2020 Leadership Team
Alejandra Price (LSU 2021) Co-President
Carolina Panisello-Manterola (Penn 2021) Co-President
Jenna Ward (TAMU 2020) Past-President
Newly Elected Officers
Vice-President (President-elect) – Alexander Dhom
PrideVMC representative – Corinne Weston
Secretary – Jack Tribble
Treasurer – Elisabeth Alost
Chapter Coordinator – Ali Perregrino
Public Relations Chair: Annalise Black
Graphic Design Support- Stephie-Anne Duliepre
Dr. Jay Gladden, PrideVMC’sBroad Spectrum Advisor
Dr. Abby McElroy, Secr.PrideVMC/Student Liaison Committee
Dr. Ken Gorczyca, PrideVMC Mentor
Resource Links & Contact Info
Trans Lifeline 18/7
Trevor Suicide Prevention Line 24/7
Broad Spectrum Press Release – Seeking Awardees (PDF)
BSVSA Grant Recipients (PDF)
BSVSA – SAVMA Symposium 2018 Information Packet (PDF)
BSVSA Brochure (PDF)
BSVSA Chapter Application (Word Doc)
BSVSA Grant Application (Word Doc)
Student Interest Sheet (Word Doc)
We want to hear from you. Please contact us with any questions, suggestions or inquiries.