Veterinarians have one of the highest suicide rates of any profession; compound that profession with any marginalized identity and the risk of mental illness and/or suicide completion only increases. PrideVMC acknowledges this trend in order to help our community members combat it.
Experiencing any form of marginalization is a mentally exhausting and emotionally draining experience that may require assistance. We strive to provide as many resources as possible to our community members to assist them through difficult times. Below are some resources to help someone experiencing a mental health crisis. For ongoing mental health issues, we highly encourage individuals to seek out a professional.
There is no shame in having a mental illness–it is not a morality defeat or a sign of weakness. Please help us destigmatize this illness by being open in your support of those suffering from it.
Resource Links & Contact Info
- HRC LGBTQ+ COVID-19 Resources
- Active Minds
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse Hotline
- Alcohol Hotline
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (HIV/AIDS/STD Line)
- Depression Toolkit
- Drug Abuse Hotline
- Gay and Lesbian National Hotline
Mon–Fri, 4 pm–12 am EST
- Gay-Straight Alliance Network
- HIV/AIDS Treatment Info Services
Mon–Fri, 12 pm–5 pm EST
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
Mon–Fri, 10 am–6 pm ET
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline 24/7
- Trans Lifeline 18/7
- Transgender Law Center
collect line for people in prison and detenion: 510.380.8229
- Trevor Suicide Prevention Line 24/7
- Youth Talkline (ages 23 and under)
Mon–Sat, 9.30 pm–12 am EST
Tue, 7 pm–12 am EST
We want to hear from you. Please contact us with any questions, suggestions or inquiries.