Veterinarians have one of the highest suicide rates of any profession; compound that profession with any marginalized identity and the risk of mental illness and/or suicide completion only increases. We here PRIDE VMC want to acknowledge this trend in order to help our community members combat it.
Experiencing any form of marginalization is a mentally exhausting and emotionally draining experience that may require assistance. We strive to provide as many resources as possible to our community members to assist them through difficult times. Below are some resources to help someone experiencing a mental health crisis. For ongoing mental health issues, we highly encourage individuals to seek out a professional.
There is no shame in having a mental illness–it is not a morality defeat or a sign of weakness. Please help us destigmatize this illness by being open in your support of those suffering from it.
Resource links & Contact Info
- Trans Lifeline 18/7
- Trevor Suicide Prevention Line 24/7
- Gay and Lesbian National Hotline
Mon–Fri, 4 pm–12 am EST
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline 24/7
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
Mon–Fri, 10 am–6 pm ET
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (HIV/AIDS/STD Line)
- HIV/AIDS Treatment Info Services
Mon–Fri, 12 pm–5 pm EST
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse Hotline
- Alcohol Hotline
- Drug Abuse Hotline
- Youth Talkline (ages 23 and under)
Mon–Sat, 9.30 pm–12 am EST
Tue, 7 pm–12 am EST
- Depression Toolkit
- Active Minds
- Gay-Straight Alliance Network
We want to hear from you. Please contact us with any questions, suggestions or inquiries.